The world is going through unprecedented times. The current corona-virus (COVID-19) situation is impacting our personal & business lives and the communities in general. While there is uncertainty in the air, and a fear or health, safety and economic impact – its is always important to stay positive and keep learning and growing from every challenge they we face. We’ll come out stronger on the other side.
Challenges are what make us grow, and greater challenges like these make an accelerated impact and change the world in a way that it will never be same again.
The current situation in the world is forcing us to stay at home, practice isolation and physical distancing – which is very important to play our part in stopping the virus to spread and flatten the curve. Please continue to do that. I also feel this perhaps is also an opportunity for us to take some time for ourselves, reflect on what we are doing, how are we doing, set priorities, strengthen relationships and grow into a better version of ourselves.
I would like to share a few tips that I feel we can practice these days to not only neutralize the impact of negativity, but also raise ourselves to a higher vibration level and become better prepared for life ahead.
- Slow down and take time to think
This perhaps is an opportunity to slow our fast pace chaotic life a little bit. On an average day, most people are always in a hurry chasing their dreams – so busy that they don’t have time to actually dream and crystallize what they want, and what they want it. Take this opportunity to spend some time alone, and think about what you really want. What makes you happy. What makes to be and perform your best. What is important in your life and how much time you are to giving to the important things in life. Set clear goals, think why achieving these goals are important for you. Think of the end goals, and not just means to an end. For example, money - everyone has a goal to make money, which is fine, but not a lot of people think about why they want to make money. Money itself is nothing but the value it brings to your life. It’s a symbol of freedom. So, think of what is that freedom that you want and why do you want it.
- Read books; or listen to them
Reading books or even listening to audio books can be the best habit one can get into. It allows you to have wisdom of from thousands of authors and their point of view. Books are powerful technology, that allows you to accelerate you learning. Books are like training wights for mind. This is a great time to get back to the habit again and take some time everyday to read some old-fashioned books – or listen to audio books. Pick the topics that you like – better stay away from reading news and politics, unless it really is your forte.
Here are five recommendations I have on personal development that I really enjoyed reading.
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl – Frankl was a celebrated psychiatrist. He also had some experiences with the Nazis that you can looks up. This book is like a therapeutic model based on a human sense of meaning. An excellent and deep reading material.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson – I love Mark’s style of writing – very casual yet very impactful. This book is packed with motivation for setting priorities and acting on those. Something that once you pick up will feel like finishing in one go.
- 7 Habits of Highly Successful People by Stephen Covey – This is truly a timeless book. Quoted by many authors in their work – a self-help classic of all times, geared towards productivity and discipline.
- Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins – Who doesn’t know Tony Robbins, in this book he provides a step-by-step program teaching the fundamental lessons of self-mastery that will enable you to discover your true purpose, take control of your life, and harness the forces that shape your destiny.
- High Performance Habits by Brendon Burchard - This book quotes an extensive research, and encompasses Brendon’s vast experience as a high-performance coach. He reveals the most effective habits for reaching long-term success, based on one of the largest surveys ever conducted on high performers.
- Sharpen your skills – or pick up new ones
This is the world of online training. There are videos, online lessons, book tutorials etc. for everything available. While you have this time in hand, upgrade your skills, or acquire new ones. Whether is a new technical skill you want to upgrade your skills on, like a software, or new tool or technique, or a new language, or a new way of manufacturing, you can learn that online. Or, even if you want to polish your presentation skills, get rid of your public speaking fear, or improve your writing skills. Spend some time and do that. It will help you in your career when things are back to normal. This may also be a good time to pick up a hobby that you always wanted to learn; like paying guitar, or piano, or playing poker or whatever. Learn something new and you will never regret spending this time.
- Spend time with loved ones; Strengthen Relationships
This really is an opportunity to spend time with your loved ones that you always have been putting on back burner. Your spouse, partner, kids, parents’, family members and others – whether they live with you or not. If they live with you at home – plan some activities together, play games, cook, watch TV, movies, read together, share stories, laugh and have fun. You always wanted to do that but there was not enough time. And, if they don’t live with you – like your friends, or your parents; call them regularly, video chat, group chat, share stories, share emotions. Trust me, your will remember these moments more than anything.
These are some of the things are we should always be doing, but now is an opportunity to start if we were not getting the time before.
There is no point watching too much TV / News, and indulging too much in the negativity going around in mainstream and social media. Don’t get sucked into it. Don’t spread the fake new on WhatsApp, twitter or Facebook. People already have enough sources to get this news.
The fact is that the COVID-19 situation is a reality and we have to live with it, this time will pass and we’ll get through it together, all we have to do it is be responsible, do our part and be positive about the future. Use this time and opportunity wisely to grow yourself and help other grow.