We all have herds that “live the life on purpose” or knowing and following your life’s purpose will make you happy. While this is very true, most of us have no idea on what our life’s purpose is or even clarity on how to find it.
There is no denial that one should always strive for it and should make this a goal for our developmental process. However, let’s discuss how we can bring meaning to our life in the meantime, by seeking clarity.
By seeking clarity, I mean questioning ourselves in several areas of our life and make improvements.
We often just focus on major areas in our life and work on those, unless there is a pressing need or certain things are almost breaking apart and need urgent attention.
In order to feel fulfilled and happy, we need to carefully review the certain areas in our life and answer some questions. Below is the list that I made, you can add or delete as you feel appropriate.
- Finance – how are you doing in terms of money? Your financial goals etc.
- Career – Do you love what you are doing? Future plans and related.
- Relationship – With you family and friends
- Social – with the broader circle
- Health and Fitness
- Spiritual / Religious
- Giving back / contribution
- Fun & Adventure
Ask yourself some burning questions and then listen to your heart. Be honest. You don’t have to share these with anyone, but you need to be honest with yourself.
There are 4 important questions that you need to ask.
- What does that area of life means to you? Why its important?
- What do you want to achieve in this area of life? (in 3 years – or set your time frame)
- Why do you want to achieve that? This is really important. Think hard about it. Find the reason behind the reason. This can be surprising.
- What do you need to do to achieve this? List whatever you can think of. Listen to your heart.
Layered within your answers are feelings. Listen – not just to the thoughts or words that are coming into your head. Listen to the feelings that come with them. You’ll know you’re on to something when the answers come to you in a calm and peaceful way. Quiet moments create the perfect environment to receive clarity. Notice the quality and feeling of the answers that come to you in these moments and take some time to write them down so you will remember them later.
Once you have all these areas covered and written down. Revisit them as you see fit. Perhaps at least once a month and make some action plan. You will see significant change in yourself buy just writing your goals and thinking about them.
Repeat this excessive after 6 month to see how far you are and make adjustments / new goals etc.
One last thing…. Please write it down on a paper. I’m not against making notes on phone or computer – but writing it down has its own benefits. Give it a try. It does not take long, and the rewards are enormous.
Write a comment on how was it after you are done. I’m excited to know.
Feel free to drop me a line if there are questions.